Celebrant for Naming Ceremonies
A naming ceremony is the event at which an infant, a youth, or an adult is given a name or names. The timing can vary from mere days after birth to several months or many years afterwards. Naming days are a special way to welcome your child to the world, to formally acknowledge with family and friends the unique person your child is and how special they are you.
As Naming Ceremony Celebrant I like to work with you to make your child’s Naming Ceremony a unique event that acknowledges your child’s individual soul and personality, and the special connections between your child, family and friends.
Naming days are not a religious or spiritual ceremony, they are simply a celebration of your child. As part of your child’s naming day you can acknowledge the special traits of your child and any hopes or dreams you have them. Many people choose Life Mentors/Guardians/Godparents for their child, and these mentors, and other important people in your child’s life, can also be acknowledged during the ceremony.
A naming ceremony can include speeches, readings, songs, and any or all of the following:
- Formal bestowing of the baby or child’s name
- Affirmation of their family’s unconditional love for them
- Acknowledgment of the role of parents, grandparents, step grandparents, great grandparents, aunts and uncles in their life
- Acknowledgement of other siblings
- Confirmation of their belonging to the wider group of their extended families
- Affirmation of them in their wider community
- Undertaking to support parents as they prepare their children for adulthood.
A naming ceremony can be done for children of any age and also for adults who have decided to change their name.